Okay, I’m going to try to avoid getting too sappy or sentimental here. But I want to give a sincere thank you to all of you who have read OVER over the past fifteen months, whether you’ve been with it since the beginning or just discovered it recently. Although I’ve been posting comics on the web here and there for several years, OVER was my first successful attempt at building a significant online readership and delivering content on a consistent schedule. I learned so much from this process, and I consider the completion of this graphic novel an important milestone in my comics career.
But I honestly don’t know if I could have kept at it without the support and encouragement from you guys. Three pages a week was an ambitious schedule for me, representing a weekly grind of not less than 20 hours a week. Knowing that there were people out there counting on their M-W-F OVER fix kept me going. In truth, this was a story I HAD to tell, one that I was going to get out of me one way or another. But I’m certainly glad it was a story others were interested in reading.
So, sincerely, thank you.
I especially want to thank:
- Mom, Katie, and Jenny for listening to the story while it was still only in my head.
- Frank Dipps for being a friend (Golden Girls style), and for breaking the story down with me and helping me turn something rough into something readable.
- All the many strangers at TriggerStreet, whose critical feedback help push the story in a more satisfying direction. A wonderful community over there…writers, check it out, you’ll be glad you did.
- Editor Steven Forbes for helping dodge a major bullet.
- B.E. for being okay with it.
- RKB for giving OVER it’s very first positive blog review at Pigs of the Industry.
- My many podcasting friends for inviting me on their shows and letting me plug away, or for mentioning the comic. Thanks to Jamais Jochim (Webcomic Reviews & Interviews), Javier Hernandez (Javiland), Eric Ratcliffe (Why I Love Comics), Chris Flick and Matt Stout (The Lightbox), Kurt Sasso (TGT Webcomics), Chuck Moore (The Related Recap), and Todd Tieuli (Dangerous: Memories.)
- Curtis Lawson for the killer review at Webcomics You Should Be Reading.
- Special thanks to all of you who made up the 400+ comments this comic has received since its inception. Studies show only about 1% of readers actually take the time to comment. Well, thank God for you 1%! Thanks to: Andrew J., Doc Nasty, Dave K., Steve Forbes, Rei, B.Nice, Brian V., Vanessa L., Tony P., Uncle Chi Chi, Strass, D. Repps, Becca, Tarlonis, THF, Carl-E, Jules R., Dawn G., Katie S., Ken D., Geoffrey D.W., Anonymous Mouse, Michelle R., Uma, Jamie F., Christie, Jess D., Marie F., Ben P., Max, Wayne A., Ethel, Brian M, Jav, Kurt, Chris F., Mazoku, Thomas, Overlord David, Steven, Starina, Henry B., Ced, Lana, Raoul, Benny, Charles, Simon, Melissa, Ceci, Christopher W., Holly, Fae, Vincent J., Eccentric, WTF, Kori, Jen, Bert S., Samson, Puck, Anon, Ed, Manwich, Otomo, and Jande.
- And special thanks to Mistress Dizzy for the most frequent commenter award!
- Also, thanks to all of you frequent ReTweeters who helped spread the word about OVER on Twitter. @mattzolman, @julesrivera, @mestery, @EccentricOrbits, @dgriff13, @dangermaus, I’m looking at you and plenty of others.
- Special thanks to Kristen V. for not letting OVER or my creating comics habit/addiction/sickness scare you away.
- Everyone who purchased a print copy of the first issue in standard or artist edition, either in person or online, you guys are awesome.
- And the hugest of thanks to everyone who pre-ordered the print version of the graphic novel. Thanks to you, I’m only one book shy of hitting my pre-order target and I’ve still got 24 hours to go. I’m going to go ahead and count that as a success. So again, big thanks to: Dawn, Andrew, Frank Dipps, Strass, MJVN, Kurt, Vanessa and Leo, Chi Chi, BF Meal, Tuner, B.Nice, Robert G., Mark B., Chuck M., Tut, Adam M., Edwin, David H., Jav, James G., Evan W., Rob S., BPH, Kyle, Jamie G, Dan R., and PJ for helping me order a healthy first printing of the book.
- And finally, thanks to anyone who gave this comic a shot, whether it was your cup of tea or not. If not, hey, maybe I’ll get you with the next one.
Seriously, I have tremendous gratitude for all of you who have helped make doing what I’m doing feel worth it.
Now about next week…
As I mentioned in Wednesday’s post, I’ve got something cool cooking for next week. Starting on Monday, and going all week long (well, technically two weeks) will be…
The Great “OVER” Fire Sale Art Auction
Now, we all know Felix put his graphic novel behind him by way of hobo fire. Me, I’m not going to be quite so dramatic. However, what I will be doing is selecting just 10 pieces of original art from the OVER graphic novel, and putting them on sale auction style on EBAY, starting at whatever the lowest allowable starting price is over there. (Been a while since I rocked the EBAY.) So, it’ll be a chance for you to own a piece of this webcomic, and hopefully help me raise some extra funds for the print run. Win/Win!
Two new pages will go up for auction each day of the week, and each auction will run 7 days. While I have some of the pieces I’ll be auctioning already picked out, I’d LOVE your input. If there’s a particular page or piece of original art you’ve seen posted here over the past year and a half that you think would make a solid auction piece, please let me know!
All right, see you next week for the start of the FIRESALE!